Wednesday, June 3, 2009

First Letter

Dear Michelle,

Before I start giving you advice and describing what I think is important for you to know, perhaps it is important to know who I am.

At the time that I write this, I am 35 years old. Once upon a time, I wanted children more than anything. That changed after I got married, for a plethora of reasons. I may describe them to you later, but they're not important right now. If I had ever had a child, I would have preferred a daughter. I realise this makes me unusual compared to most males, but the thought of raising a son fills me with dread. Raising a teenage daughter, though, intrigues me.

If I'd ever actually had a daughter, I'd have named you Michelle. I love that name. I think it is far too often relegated to the realm of middle names, and it deserves so much better. But I never have had children, and I never will, so I write these letters instead to you, the daughter I never had.

Who am I? I am a teacher. I'm not currently working as a teacher, but I am a teacher nonetheless. I am a gamer. I am an introvert. I am a cynic who prefers to think of himself as a realist. I am a misnathrope. I am a firm believer in the power of logic, and the power of belief, and I believe it is possible to believe in those things without them conflicting. I believe that humans have great potential, but I believe that humans seldom acheive their potential.

Why am I writing these letters?

I feel that I have some important and worthwhile things to say. Some of these, I think, would be most useful for a teenage daughter. I remember what it was like to be a teenager, and I have worked closely with teenagers ever since I was a young adult. As a teacher working with secondary students, I had to learn to understand the way that teens work, and I got lots of practise and firsthand observation. I think I would be good at helping a daughter to navigate the perilous waters of adolesence.

Some of the things I have to say, though, would be beneficial to most anyone. They are observations on the world in general, and might be helpful (or at least interesting) to anybody who reads it.

So what follows is my thoughts and observations. My letters to you, Michelle, the daughter I never had.

No comments:

Post a Comment